Michigan Union celebrating 100 years with events
DATES: Oct. 29-31, 2004
EVENTS: Michigan Union hosts a series of public events during its Centennial Celebration Gala Weekend.
• 6 p.m. A time capsule unveiling ceremony beginning at the Union's North Entrance fountain area. Free and open to the public.
• 6:45 p.m. the North Entrance area will be rocking with a pep rally that includes the Michigan Fanfare Band, cheerleaders, and football coach Lloyd Carr. Free and open to the public.
• 7:15-11 p.m., a gala including dinner in the Michigan Union Ballroom, a presentation by former U-M football coach Bo Schembechler, performance by U-M's Men's Glee Club and sounds of the big band era as re-created by "The Couriers." Registration and fee required.
• A package of events is available for purchase and includes a football brunch, transportation to the game and "The First 100 Years Reception" following the game. Registration, fee and game ticket purchase required.
• 10 a.m.-noon: The anniversary weekend closes with guided tours of the Michigan Union. Tours leave the Union's main lobby every 30 minutes. This is a chance to see changes and improvements made during the years and to share stories and memories of experiences at the Union. Free and open to the public.
To support the Michigan Union Scholarship and Building Maintenance Funds, a silent auction will be held Oct. 26-30 in the Sophia B. Jones Room of the Union. The auction features Michigan memorabilia, fun getaways and items from area merchants. Bids can be made 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-midnight Friday; and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday. Open to the public.
SPONSOR: Michigan Union/Centennial Committee. For more information on any of the events or for package and individual event costs, contact Barbara Niemi, (734) 763-6595, or email@example.com.
Contact: Joanne Nesbit