- Published on Jan 17, 2013
- Contact Nicole Casal Moore
DATE: Jan. 19-27, 2013.
EVENT: See inside the cramped cockpit of Quantum, the University of Michigan's national champion solar car that took third place in the most recent 1,800-mile World Solar Challenge in Australia. It still holds specks of Australian dust, team members say.
Visitors can also peak into one of the team's support vehicles and learn how the students plot strategy based on weather forecasts and other variables.
The U-M Solar Car Team is the largest student project team on campus, involving over one hundred members. Twenty-three years after its founding, the team has built 11 custom solar-electric vehicles and won seven national championships. The team is building its twelfth car to compete in the 2013 World Solar Challenge in Australia in October.
PLACE: The North American International Auto Show at Cobo Center in Detroit. The car will be on the lower level in Michigan Hall, in front of the ride-and-drive track.
- Solar car photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/umsolar/7976444499/in/set-72157631520589835 and http://www.flickr.com/photos/umsolar/7965372406/in/set-7215763152058983
- North American International Auto Show: http://www.naias.com/
- Solar Car Team: http://solarcar.engin.umich.edu